Wednesday, October 26, 2011

quite possibly the worst thing about being a parent...

and it's not what you think: it's not the sleeplessness, or endless dirty diapers, or vomit, or the astronomical cost of formula.

It's daycare!

In the last few months, I've had friends returning to work after the birth of their babies. Some of them wish they could stay home full-time, others are ready to head back to the work force, some are anxious and torn about being in one place while their child is in another. They are terrified of not finding that "balance"..(Balance? What balance? I have yet to discover it!)

I think I've been in all 3 camps. Working or staying home is never an easy choice to make and I often think that if daycare costs weren't so high and it didn't come down to numbers in the end, what kind of choice would I make? We have fiscally reached the point where the number of children we have versus the kind of money I could bring home after daycare costs made the decision for us.

But I do remember quite well when I was in the wild throes of it. Oh, the decisions to make!!!

Trying to find the perfect combination of loving care with a bottom line that makes sense. The two don't normally go hand-in-hand. I found a center I loved...I mean, I really, really loved it. I still do! When I think back on those days, it's only fondly. They were so good to my kids and the director was amazing. Did I mention how much I like video surveillance? But it wasn't cheap! After paying for daycare each week, I think only brought home something like $25. I'm not kidding...But this is how I looked at it: I pay for quality in a pair of jeans, I will pay more for a reliable vehicle, so why in the world would I not do the same when it came to child care? The people who are spending the majority of their day with my children? But after paying the hefty price tag each week, the time came where we needed to make some decisions. And we decided it was best if I was home. Not sure who decided my sanity wasn't worth something...but here we are! (only kidding, of course! I do enjoy being home for the kiddos!). 


And have I mentioned how jealous I am of those who don't actually have to pay for daycare? You are the luckiest bunch in the whole wide world! You get to leave for work each day knowing that your kids are in good hands (after all, they probably raised you!) AND keep your paycheck--WIN, WIN!

So, I'm just wondering how much easier it would be if daycare wasn't part of the parenting equation?

No comments: