Thursday, October 27, 2011

Doggie Dreams



I love dogs. I love our dog.

But something has changed around here and I'm not sure how it happened. You see, each night, Emme was let outside one final time and then put in her crate for the night.

Then, one July night, during our normal 3 mile walk (Nothing like a giant, full-of-energy dog to motivate a person to walk more!), she was staggering and struggling a bit. She couldn't make it home. Her hips had given out. This was something we never experienced before. I was used to her boundless energy and athleticism. After all, she's only two years old.

On this night, she was allowed to sleep on the floor by our bed so we could watch her closely. She didn't even move. A trip to the vet. A "hip dysplasia" diagnosis. And she's still sleeping on our floor. beside our bed. And..wait...if I look closer, there's something there that wasn't there before...what is that? A gigantic dog bed made out of Memory Foam? Oh my! Don't. Even. Ask...It must have been a weak, weak moment because those things are NOT cheap!

Ok, this sleeping beside our bed really isn't the problem. The problem lies with HOW she sleeps. She is the quietest dog I have ever met...Not kidding...She doesn't bark...EVER! You can come to my front door, ring the door bell....She doesn't bark. She will stand and look at you, tail wagging, huge smile on her face (you can see it, can't you? One of those big Golden Retriever grins?), but not a sound will come from her.

So, how can this quiet dog because such a NOISY sleeper? I swear she's making up for lost time...She dreams. loudly. She pants, whinnies like a horse, gallops through fields (or so we imagine), she huffs and puffs. And have I mentioned how LOUD it is? Like I'm afraid she's going to wake the kids...and she doesn't startle out of these dreams easily. The kind-of-whispering-but-you-know-i-mean-business "EMME!" doesn't wake her. Most times, I have to nudge her awake. So, now you guessed it, I'm awake too! Arrrr....And if you've been paying attention, you know how much sleep is a rare commodity around here.

I love dogs. I love our dog. I HATE doggie dreams!

No comments: