Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Em


"I strive to be the kind of person my dog already believes me to be"--Anonymous

I am one of those weirdos who firmly believes every child should grow up with a dog. It teaches them responsibility, compassion, empathy and unconditional love. Ok, maybe we're lacking a tad bit in the "responsibility" category, but we're working on it! And, yes, dogs are lots of work (sometimes more than the kids themselves) and they are expensive, but I don't regret one moment of it.

And we couldn't have found a more perfect fit for our family than Em. She's so loving and mellow. Just a gentle soul. A big marshmallow.

Up to this point in life, I've always been a small dog person. Then Logan talked me into getting a big dog. I was very reluctant. The hair, the mess, my poor hardwood floors (which are completely ruined, I might add!). Now, I can't quite imagine life without her. In fact, it's even hard for me realize that, more than likely, a day will come when she's no longer with us. She's a part of our family...Emotionally connected to each of us. When I see London wrap her arms around her neck each afternoon following preschool, or Logan curled up in his bed reading with her by his side, or Leyton with handfuls of her hair...I know we've done the right thing. And I'll never forget the time that I was sobbing in Brad's arms...And I mean, I was a wreck...And I felt pressure on my leg. I looked down and Em was sitting beside me, resting her head against me. It was as if she was just quietly letting me know she was here too.

No comments: