Friday, October 28, 2011

Apple Snob!

I've raised an apple snob! No, really...It's true!

Ever since the beginning of Fall...A trip to the apple orchard and some apple sampling...it became apparent that London isn't going to settle for a mere, every day apple. She has standards and they are H.I.G.H (we can only hope her apple picking expertise extends into the men she chooses to date!).

For lunch today, I cut up an apple and placed the beautiful, fleshy fruit in front of her with the perfect red/green/yellow color ratio. With her beautiful baby blues cast upwards, she says, "Mom, is this a Sweet Tango?" Now her love of the Sweet Tango has caused me to do some research and they are only available in the early, early part of Fall but we have been surprised a few times and found a small stash in the most unlikeliest of places. So, her love affair has been extended past their normal picking season.

But on this day, I say, "No...I think it's a Honeycrisp." She is not impressed. In fact, she won't even touch it, which drives this mother insane. The apple she begged for a few moments ago (the discarded one now) is not cheap.

So, I say, "You better not think you're going to waste a perfectly fine apple." And the easy-going child she is, relents and very slowly devours the less-than-superior apple.

Now her snobbiness isn't just in brand alone...She will follow me around the apple section, picking the prettiest fruit. At each apple barrel, she will say, "Mom are these Sweet Tangos?"...."Ok, how about these ones?" She will dig far and wide in hopes of finding a hidden, secret dash. We did get lucky one day at our local grocery store. Her eyes lit up...She ran to get the biggest produce bag she could find....She filled it up. She had no regard for the fact that my grocery bill just went up by $50 because of apples. And ever since that day, when an inferior apple is placed in front of her, she will say, "Mom, remember that day when I found all the Sweet Tangos?"

"Yes, Honey, I remember. It was a good day!"

And a apple snob was created!

No comments: