Monday, December 29, 2008

Happy New Years....

I know we're probably the minority here, but we totally LOVE staying in for New Year's. Even as young singletons, we preferred a night in to the chaos of going out. We'd order a shrimp tray, rent movies, nestle in and ring the New Year in quietly. Ok that was then, now we don't even make it to midnight.

Sixteen years and two kids later, we pop some popcorn, pour some sparkling grape juice and watch movies. This is the one night per year where we let Logan stay up to kiss one year goodbye as another rings in. He thinks we're the coolest parents on the block because we let him stay up and "party" until midnight. Little does he know how deprived he probably truly is...!!! However, the saddest part is how Brad and I are sawing logs while our 8-year-old watches the movie, eats the popcorn, and steadily watches the clock turn over. Usually, he wakes US up to let us know the new year has begun. Pathetic, I know.

To us, it's a totally over-rated night. We enjoy the holiday and day-off, but seriously, the next day doesn't look any different.

The one useful thing I like about a new year is a new beginning. It's a good time to reflect on the things I wish I would have done differently and vow to make changes for the New Year.

I truly do vow to try to understand Logan a little better and to remind myself he's only 8 and he's going to do silly, inappropriate things at times. He's not mature, he's not done being raised by us. There is still time to figure things out and come together and hope for the love of GOD that we've instilled some of our core values in him. He's the most compassionate and loving child. He's an "old soul" and so impressionable and easily influenced. He's the child that can take one look at me and tell something is wrong, even if I'm trying to hide it (and no, it has nothing to do with how transparent I am). He's so intuitive and sensitive and loving. I want to nurture these qualities in him.

I vow to remind myself I'm not perfect and I'm going to make parenting mistakes, along with a million other mistakes. I'm not always going to choose the right path or solution and that's OK. I vow to try to lighten up on myself a bit.

I vow to appreciate my husband more. I think this was also last year's resolution (refer to the above resolution--I won't be so hard on myself). He's such an amazing father and spouse and I love him from the very depths of my soul. He completes me. There is not a single person out there that would put up with such a high-maintenance person like me and he does it so well--It seems so effortless. There isn't another person on this planet that reads me like him, that can pull me back into reality like him, that can calm me down like him, that can simply extend his arms and let me fall into them like him. He's my soft place to fall, my true North, my best friend.

I vow to be a good role model for London. She's just one of those girls who just knows what she wants out of life and she's not afraid to seek it. She has so much wherewithal--So much confidence and grace. I'm proud to be her mother. You might be thinking, "Stacey, she's two--How can you possibly have gathered that much from her already?" I just KNOW...It's mother's instinct. I can see so much of her Aunt Angie and Grandma Nancy in her. She's just one who will leave a lasting impression. I also know that I'll be calling that Aunt Angie someday asking for all her secrets when she was a teenager because I'll need all the help I can get with her. It's pretty apparent she's all about having a good time. She comes with her own set of challenges, but I love to see her zest for life. I just want to bottle her enthusiasm and drink it.

Happy New Year...!!!

No comments: