Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Treadmill Training for the DOG???


One of the joys of dog ownership for me is actually walking the dog. For the brief amount of time that we were "dog-less", I truly missed the bonding experience of walking a dog. Maybe it's the time spent completely alone between master and dog. Maybe it's the utter joy they express as you grab the walking leash from the hook--A self-fulfilling prophecy, for sure. Maybe it's the fact that you know it's just as good for you as it is for them. Maybe it's just to get the dog to sit down for 20 minutes.....

I try with all my might to walk Phoebe a couple miles per day. It as good of therapy for me as it is for her. So, you can imagine how painful it's been to watch the transition from Fall to Winter this week. The freezing rain, gusty winds, and bitter temps have really limited our walking. I know the weather we're experiencing now is going to be mild compared to what's to come. Hence, our walking is going to become less and less.....

Because I prefer "worn out" Phoebe to the "Boy, this dog really needs some exercise" version, I've been researching and trying out different methods of treadmill training for her. The first time I tried it, Brad accompanied me downstairs because he was certain it was going to turn into something he wouldn't want to miss. Turns out, he was absolutely right. It was a disaster. Phoebe was terrified of the noise and dug her heels in deep before falling off the back of it. Again and again, I tried but to no avail.

However, my brother, Colby, is staying with us this week and I thought it was a perfect time to incorporate his help in the matter. While London napped this afternoon, I tried again. This time I used a clicker and treats to reward her. I fed her so many treats there's no way she won't be coming back tomorrow for more. She did awesome. As you can tell from the pictures, I can hardly contain my smug grin.

I'm proud of this small feat....It'll definitely help me this winter to keep her in shape and worn out!

PS: I'll fill you in on Logan's ultrasound results as soon as I know!

No comments: