Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"Call Me Maybe"

If I were to ever get a tattoo...I'm not really a "tattoo" kind of girl, but if I were to decide someday that getting a permanent bumper sticker put on my flabby, aging skin is a good idea...I always thought I'd want it to say something like "Bloom Where You're Planted"...

You see, I'm always in awe of positive, "enjoy the journey" kind of people. Those who can make lemonade out of lemons. The happy-go-lucky folks who can see the sun shine amongst all of the crap. I may not belong to the same club, but I did happen to give birth to one.

London is the little girl who was just born loving life. I really wish I could bottle up her enthusiasm, her confidence, her smile and hold it in my heart forever. When she descends the stairs each morning, I always hear "Here Comes The Sun" playing in the background. She can lighten any mood by simply walking into a room. She's so mature, such a good friend to others, and can whip out the lyrics to "Call Me Maybe" unlike any other! I will catch her on camera someday!!!

London just started kindergarten this year and we decided to enroll her in a different school outside of our neighborhood. We are happy with our decision, but with it comes some anxiety as parents: Will she thrive there? Will she make friends? Will it be a good fit? So, every day, upon picking her up, I'm drilling her about her day. I want to know if she's fitting in and making friends. I want to know she's happy. Yesterday, she got in the car and my usual string of questions followed. She surprises me when she says, "Mom, I made a new friend." Excited, I started to gather more information. It sounded like her new friend was a boy. So, I ask her, "Is XXX a boy or a girl?" She quickly answers, "Mom, it's a boy and he wants a play date, so I gave him my phone number." I couldn't help but laugh. This is SO my London. She is just blooming where she's been planted.

As parents, we are always hearing about our influence on our children. How we're taking these blank slates and creating a little person with morals and a value system. But on this particular day...And many others that have passed and many more to come...it feels like my kids have taught me the important lessons in life instead of the other way around. All I have to do is take one look at my middle child to be reminded to "bloom where I'm planted"....

No comments: